Basic Counselling Skills Workshop (Mandarin), 24 Oct 2015
Organised by OnePeople.sg, the 1-day workshop aims to enhance the ability of the community leaders to exercise and convey empathy in possible scenarios on the ground. This workshop will equip the community leader with a set of skills which will enable him or her to accurately communicate empathic understanding and work towards positive conflict resolutions.
- To enhance the ability of the participants to exercise and convey empathy in racially-charged scenarios they might encounter in their line of work.
- To develop critical listening and questioning skills in conveying emphatic responses effectively
1. How to develop empathy
- With the help of the trainers, participants will develop their ability to identify people and understand their emotions. Areas covered will include:
- Understanding feelings and dynamics in relationship
- Discovering how one’s values and belief can (subtly) affect one’s ability to relate to people and how to manage this.
- The use of focused imagination to step into the shoes of others, thereby developing empathy
2. Emphatic Listening and Responding Techniques
- Participants will be taught techniques that serve to help them listen and respond emphatically
3. Discussions & Role-play
- Based on case studies, participants will take turns to role-play various situations in order to practice and refine the skills learnt.